What is the Time-of-Use (TOU) Rate?
All residential customers are automatically enrolled in RMLD's standard Residential Schedule A Rate. Under this rate, customers are billed based on their kilowatt-hour usage. The rate is consistent regardless of the time of day the electricity is used.
Residential customers have the option to switch to the Time-of-Use (TOU) rate. Rather than one standard rate for all hours, time-of-use has two rates: one that is higher than the standard rate during on-peak hours when electricity is in high demand, and one that is lower than the standard rate during off-peak hours when electricity is not as in demand. Because a different type of meter is required for the time-of-use rate, the customer charge is slightly higher and customers are asked to stay on the rate for a minimum of one year.
On-peak hours are Monday through Friday from 12:00 to 7:00 pm, excluding holidays. Off-peak hours include weekends, holidays, and all other hours not considered on-peak.
How do I know if TOU is right for me?
The TOU rate may help customers save money on their electric bill if the majority of their usage typically occurs during off-peak hours. Some examples are included below. Please note, these are examples only; customers on TOU are billed based on their actual electric usage.
The average RMLD residential customer uses 39% of their electricity during on-peak hours and 61% during off-peak hours. Customers with this use pattern can save approximately $10/month by switching to Time-of-Use:
By shifting an additional 13% of daily energy use to off-peak periods while on the TOU rate, a residential customer could save as much as $200 per year:
How do I shift my electricity usage to off-peak hours?
There are several ways to shift more of your usage to off-peak hours in order to get the most benefit out of the TOU Rate:
- Use appliances such as diswashers, washers, dryers, etc. either before or after on-peak hours. Some appliances can be programmed to run at a certain time, and smart appliances can be controlled remotely from your smartphone.
- Use a wireless (smart) thermostat to control your home's heating and cooling from anywhere. Pre-heat and pre-cool the home before on-peak hours, then turn the heat or AC down during on-peak hours.
- If you own a plug-in electric vehicle, schedule charging to take place during off-peak hours (this can be done through the vehicle or the charging station).
- If you own a pool, use a timer to run the pool pump during off-peak hours.
- Practice conservation: turn off unnecessary lights and electronics, especially during on-peak hours.
How do I sign up for Time-of-Use?
To learn more and sign-up, please contact our Customer Service Department at 781-942-6598.
- To see all of RMLD's filed RATES, click here.
- To learn about RMLD's SHRED THE PEAK Program, click here.