Participate in solar without installing any panels!
RMLD's Community Shared Solar (CSS) program, Solar Choice, allows customers who want to support locally produced clean energy but aren’t able or don’t wish to install solar panels on their own home or business the opportunity to share in the benefits of a large solar array installed within RMLD’s service territory.
There are currently two Solar Choice projects in RMLD’s service area - Solar Choice 1 was powered on in 2017 and Solar Choice 2 was powered on in 2018.
How Does Solar Choice Work?
- RMLD purchases the electricity that is generated by the Solar Choice Projects, and that electricity is distributed to local homes and businesses.
- RMLD customers who are Solar Choice participants share in both the costs and the financial benefits of the project(s) they participate in. This will be reflected in a “Solar Choice” line item on each participant’s monthly electric bill.
- The rate for each Solar Choice Project is reviewed and adjusted every six months based on project performance – the rate may be a charge or a credit.
- There are currently two Solar Choice offerings:
- Solar Choice - available to all customers
- Solar Choice Business (equal to five times the amount of Solar Choice) - available to commercial, industrial, and municipal customers
- Customers who join a Solar Choice Project after the first twelve months of that project's operation will be charged a one-time enrollment fee of $30.00.
- The Solar Choice term is ten years. A thirty-day notice is required if a customer can no longer participate in Solar Choice.
While savings cannot be guaranteed, it’s estimated that Solar Choice participants will receive net credits of as much as $300 over a ten-year period. Solar Choice Business net credits are estimated to be as much as $1,500 over a ten-year period.
Please consider participating in Solar Choice; it's a great way to save money while supporting clean, renewable solar power generated right here in our own community!
Click here for the filed Solar Choice rate.
Click here to see the real-time energy production of active Solar Choice projects!